Tuesday, August 19, 2008

And the Mom of the Year Award goes to....me!

This morning while I was in my zombie-like state, I heard the sound of inevitability...or rather the thud of Ava falling off the bed. I heard a thump (or maybe two since she may have hit the ledge first) and I jumped out of bed and rushed over to my poor daughter, who was lying on her back and absolutely petrified. Of course she cried and whined for a while, but I think she is fine. I called the doctor's office and the nurse said she should be fine, as long as she doesn't vomit multiple times or act funny. David kept warning me that Ava was bound to fall off the bed one of these days, since she ends up sleeping with me half-way through the night. David's poignant warning words rang in my head all morning, so I dreaded telling David about this. Needless to say, he was furious with me. I guess my barricade of two or three pillows doesn't cut it. I just have to get my lazy butt out of bed next time Ava starts crawling around on the bed in four wheel drive...

Ava also fell down a couple of stairs the other day. And she bumped her face into the snack tray of her stroller when I hit a bump in the road during a walk. She was screaming wildly as people were walking by. It was embarrassing because she was also super crusty from her teething biscuit that she was working on during our walk (no doubt I was looking crusty too). I wanted to tell them we weren't homeless. So I need to work on protecting my little Ava a little better. Or maybe these bumps and bruises along the way are just an infant's rite of passage into toddlerhood.

2 comments:

Thayer said...

I am proud to say only one of my children have fallen out of bed (when I was awake - that time with Nate doesn't really count since it was the middle of the night)...

Amy E said...

All kids fall out of their beds and fall down, bump their heads, get bruised, cut, etc. It's hard to watch as a mom and not feel guilty. But when you show her you care, she knows her mommy loves her! You're a great mom...don't feel bad!!