Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chronicles of a Clueless Mom: Incident #1

I think of myself as a clueless mom and oftentimes use harsher words than "clueless" to describe my mothering skills. But I need to be kinder to myself. Can I just say that motherhood is kicking my butt? It's been a rough couple of weeks with sick kids, Ava peeing in her bed constantly, Arden refusing to attempt to sleep through the night, and succumbing to illness myself. But I've survived it all and will survive whatever is thrown my way! Ha!

"Chronicles" implies that this will be an ongoing documentation of my foibles, and most likely I will do enough stupid things to fill a whole book. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Let's start with incident #1.

Sometimes I just have to let Arden cry a little bit in her crib in hopes that she'll fall asleep on her own. But that girl has a serious gag reflex and will vomit if she gets too worked up. So my hopes and dreams of letting her "cry it out" have been dashed. I'm joking about it being my hopes and dreams, of course, but to completely eliminate the crying it out method without even fully attempting it just means more sleepless nights for us. When David and I hear the dreaded gagging sound we both rush into to room and there in its full glory is a little puddle of her dinner. So the other night, after Arden's dinner made its unwelcome appearance, David stripped Arden's sheets and I threw the nastiness into the wash. After the wash was done, I started to transfer the sheets to the dryer and noticed some strange little wet circular substance fall out from the wash. I discovered that I had thrown in a diaper along with the sheets into the washing machine. Smooth! Finding a bloated, ripped apart diaper in the wash is the worst. As far as I could tell it was not a poopy diaper, but who knows? Trying to clean these water absorbing polymers from the washing machine was such a pain. I re-washed the load and somehow that took care of whatever I couldn't get out of the machine. Lesson learned by this clueless mom--check what I am washing!

4 comments:

Liz Green said...

Ahhh, the joys of motherhood! I'm sorry to hear that Arden is still not sleeping through the night. Has her doctor prescribed any medicine for reflex? Funny to hear your story of washing a diaper.

Thayer said...

a friend of mine one time couldn't figure out why her laundry smelled horrible after running through a wash cycle. She rewashed it and found out that she had thrown a banana into the wash with the laundry...it happens. we've had a rough week ourselves, hang in there. And buy some pullups.

Heidi said...

Oh, that sounds like a ton of fun! So sorry the sleeping and everything is such a challenge. Hugs your way!!

Michelle said...

I call myself a clueless mom too! The Binning sisters are at it again! When will we ever learn???